Friday, February 11, 2011

I'm Dreamin' of A Green Spring

Snow storm at Eagle's Rest Cabin


     I love snow, but there is a limit to how much white stuff I want to deal with.  We've reached the limit--24 inches came down Wednesday on top of 6 inches already on the ground.  If it wasn't for the cedar trees on the mountain, there would be nothing green!  Getting across the yard is nearly impossible.  The dogs struggle to stay above the snow, and I am up to my knees in the wet, fluffy drifts! I spent the morning shoveling piles of snow off all four sides of the porch while Jack played snowplow driver on the tractor.  He got the road to the cabin driveable just before our guests arrived (in a 4 wheel drive SUV).  I know, I know I could be in New York or somewhere up there with snowfalls that dwarf our little snow records.  But, this is the south, for goodness sake!  I dreaming of....


Shooting Stars at Wildflower Falls

     One of the first spring hikes we take will be to Wildflower Falls just down the hill from the house.  It will be a wild garden of flowers and 'green'.-- green moss, green grass, green leafy buds on the trees, green water-- even the air 'feels' green and damp.  I can hardly wait!


Green moss patch

     We all try to carefully step around the mossy patches near the spring.  We have counted over 17 different wildflowers as well as a variety of ferns and mosses. 


Early tulips in the bed near the steps

     These are early blooming tulips.  The little rabbits always find the first green leaves as soon they pop out of the ground.  If you look closely, you notice the ends of the leaves have been nibbled off!  Bad, bad, Peter Rabbit!!  Oh well, Peter and his friends will move on to the green clover patches in the yard before much damage is done.


Mother's iris

     When we first moved here, I dug up some of Mother's irises from her beds in Hamburg and planted them by the old picket fence that we kept in place.  They are such a beautiful sight every spring.  The colors are breath taking!


Wild azaleas on the trail
 
       Our early spring hike to the falls always includes a visit to the pink wild azalea patches.  The air along the trail is filled with their sweet scent long before we actually see them. 



Another green spot along the trail



        "Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps the singing bird will come."  Chinese Proverb 



A little birdy reminds us--Spring will come!



2 comments:

Mel's Cabin said...

Sweet little yellow bird in the photo. Your mountains are beautiful. Thanks for following Mel's Cabin. I hope you enjoy your visits. Mel

Anonymous said...

Love your cabin photo and the scenes of nature. Beautiful shots! Mel's Cabin visited your blog today and thanks for following me!