Friday, May 29, 2009

Twittering

The Blue Family Home at Mountain Springs




There's been a lot of 'twittering' going on at our house lately. No, it's not the newest internet craze! I don't even text. It's all I can do to manage this blog! Previously, I mentioned Mr. and Mrs. Blue(bird) had chosen the new bluebird house close to our bedroom door. About Mother's Day we realized the couple was spending most of their time in or around the box. Not long after that, it was apparant that babies had hatched. There has been a flurry of activity every since.

The picture above was taken from our bedroom door. Our bed is positioned so that when we awake each morning at dawn our first view is the Blue's house. They are usually already up and feeding hungry, demanding little fledglings. The parents are always greeted with a series of 'chrips and twitters'. This goes on throughout the day. Mrs. Blue usually stops long enough each morning to perch on our bedroom door screen. "Why are you humans still in bed?" I'm sure she is asking. Birds don't have the luxury of coffee in bed!


This morning when I awoke, my first thought was," How did the Blue family make the night?". Oh no! No busy parents flying in and out, no hungry twittering, nothing going on at this little house! We watched until Jack had to leave for his last day of school. He hurried out, forgot the pie for the teacher's potluck, had to turn around and come back after I called his carpool partner. On the way out of the drive (second time) he noticed a coon in the Have-A-Heart trap. Had to load him,still in the cage, in the pick up before I let the dogs out. (This is another story, coming soon to this blog) In the meantime, I had spotted Mr. and Mrs. Blue flying around the yard. Obviously picking up bugs and worms for breakfast just as every other morning.

It took me a good hour or so between phone calls (booked a week in July at Eagle's Rest) and answering emails etc.but I finally located the source of a lot of 'twittering'--a tree close to the Blue's house. I can see it as I write, and am convinced there are little bluebirds up there. My, they got an early start. Guess they could hardly wait to leave the nest this morning! I'm sure it was getting crowded in there. (This week I would often see a little head peek out). Even with my binoculars, which I keep nearby, I haven't actually seen a baby bird yet, but the parents are flying up to some branches and I will keep a look out all day. (I know, I don't get much work done!)

It is a beautiful, 'bluebird' day, unlike yesterday's fog and drizzle. It's a good day for little birds to try their wings. I wish them Godspeed.

"This is the day the Lord has made, we will rejoice!"

1 comment:

ramona said...

What a delightful blog you have! My husband and I are coming through in Sept and hope to be able to enjoy this beauty for ourselves a couple of days.