Monday, September 22, 2008

Happy Fall!

Welcome to Mountain Springs Cabins

Did I say that springtime was my favorite season? Oh no, I changed my mind! The cool mornings, the hint of color on the mountainside, the call of the bull elks in the valley all remind me that I love this time of year best! Autumn!

Since I was a little girl, I have loved the autumn (of course I should, I was born in the fall--not saying which year!) I can remember raking leaves(mostly jumping in big piles of them), jack-o-lanterns, Halloween wiener roasts and Trick or Treating around the neighborhood, inside birthday parties when the weather didn't cooperate. Later on, the fall brought high school football games, Homecoming dances, mum corsages from someone special, and wiener roasts with s'mores at the deer camp.

When Jay was young, carving the pumpkin was a big deal, as well as choosing just the right Halloween costume. As he grew up, he and Jack would wait anxiously for that first cool, crisp Saturday of squirrel season followed soon after by the deer hunt. Never mind if they brought home nothing but stories that now are wonderful memories.

Now, fall is a time for walks in the woods down by the spring, favorite drives through the mountains (more on that later), early morning elk watching, wild geese flying over the house, and wiener roasts, especially those marshmallows!

We drove down this weekend for Jack Henry's second birthday. Two years of joy to celebrate! It is no doubt every day is a party for a two year old. Two doting grandparents had a wonderful time--even enjoyed some time with this parents! Then it was time to go back to our mountain home.

Driving south reminded us of the contrast in the seasons in the lowlands and the mountains. On the way home, Jack suggested a detour through unexplored territory. We followed the Highway 7 detour that goes through several little communities--not a convenience store/gas station for 48 miles! Beautiful countryside--old barns, deserted homesteads, cattle grazing on pastures of a few large ranches, country churches with old cemeteries next door (both still in use),little mountain streams, and wide open vistas was worth a little extra driving time. By the way, Highway 7 is scheduled to reopen next week after repairs of a slide near Pelsor.

On this first day of autumn, I look forward to more of "why I love this time of the year." Every morning, I will check the leaf color change on the mountains just outside my window as I work(?) at my computer. As the season moves on, I will linger over lunch on the porch, find a dozen reasons to go outside, and, even hang out the laundry on my new clothesline more often. I will walk (or maybe ride my four-wheeler) along the trail to the spring and look up at the blue sky through yellow-gold-red maple leaves. I will take my thermos of coffee, leave early as the sun comes up, and drive to the valley to elk watch.

And, of course, I will have a wiener roast. (I am wondering about those chocolate and strawberry marshmallows I picked up on a whim at the store.) This year, Jack and I are discussing just where to build the new campfire ring. We expect to need it soon enough when a little boy comes to visit and discovers the pure pleasures of sitting around a campfire, roasting hot dogs, and making s'mores on a cool autumn evening in the mountains. Making mountain memories!!

September

A road like brown ribbon, A sky that is blue, A forest of green with that sky peeping through.

Asters, deep purple, A grasshopper's call, Today it is summer, Tomorrow is fall.

Edwina Fallis


No comments: