Monday, June 23, 2008

Little Joys

Summer Sunrise at Mountain Springs


I think it's the "little joys" that keep us going. The big ones are usually too few and too far between. You might call them "lifesavers". Here are a few that I have experienced lately.

Jack and I are in the habit this time of year of rising at the regular "getting ready for school" time and spending an hour or so on the porch watching the sun come up over the mountain as we drink our coffee. There are usually a few rabbits playing in the garden, (the dogs are up, but obviously too sleepy to notice) and a chorus of songbirds singing their morning melodies. It's a good time to take stock of the garden and flower beds and lay out a plan for the day. It is the most exhilarating, and at the same time relaxing, way to start the day. I certainly recommend it!

Speaking of coffee. I am glad I have lived long enough to learn that two of my favorite things, coffee and chocolate, are now "good" for us. It eliminates any guilt I may have had about indulging in the two. And, it seems, with coffee, the more the better! "Who'd a thunk it!", as they say in these parts! Wonder if that goes for chocolate too? Maybe so, since dark chocolate, which is more intense, is better than milk chocolate, which is milder. A few years ago eggs, peanut butter, nuts, and olive oil were not "good for us"--now we are told they have essential antioxidants. I am waiting for the study that declares cookies a major nutrient and vital to our well-being (which most of us already know).

And, speaking of chocolate--I have discovered a major gourmet dessert. Gourmet to my way of thinking anyway. A few days ago, Jack and I got up early and drove out to Fenton's Berry Farm. It was a beautiful morning, cloudy, slight breeze--just the weather for picking berries--raspberries! I have picked blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, dew berries, and wine berries but never raspberries, and they are my favorite! When we got home, we were tired and hungry. Jack suggested a bowl of berries, with ice cream. Good, but just drizzle a little chocolate on top, and you have one outstanding gourmet delight!

And, speaking of wine berries--a berry very similar to raspberries that grows around here on the mountain sides. I have heard it is a tame berry gone wild! I'm not sure about its origins, but it is one little burst of flavor, and well worth a few chigger bites. Of course, you need to watch for other critters as well. Jack and a bear were once picking in the same patch. Since there was plenty of berries for both of them, it worked out okay.

We eat wine berries plain, (hummm, think I will try the ice cream, chocolate combination with them this year), mixed with peaches in cobblers, and I usually make a little jam with them. The name, wine berry, tells you they might also be used for other indulgences.

It's getting close to dark, and another "little joy" we have is sitting on the back porch for just a few minutes to see what the sunset will look like this day. We are seldom disappointed!

And, speaking of "little joys"! We have a total of eight boys and two girls, all under 12, staying in our two cabins this week. Talk about little joys! They find joy in everything--from frogs to horses to rocks! Everyday should be such fun for us all!



The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings!

Robert Louis Stevenson