Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Littlest Deer

Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds...
You care for people and animals alike, O Lord.
How precious is your unfailing love, O God!
All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of your wings.
You feed them from the abundance of your own house,
letting them drink from your river of delights.
Ps. 36

My eye caught a movement outside as I walked by the bedroom window. On closer inspection, I saw a very small deer scraping up the last of the bird seed I had scattered on the ground for the quail. He, no doubt, was hungry as he was scavenging for every crumb left by the birds. He was one of the smallest deer I have seen other than young fawns in the springtime. Jack said he was probably a late summer fawn and born to a young mother. There were no other deer around.

I continued to keep an eye on him the rest of the afternoon. We can only guess as to why he was here alone. Did his mother get killed by a car on the highway? Did he get separated when dogs chased the herd? I worried and watched--hoping he would be reunited with his deer family soon. I didn't want him to wander away from the safety of our place.

After a long while, he meandered around to the front of the pasture, still just outside the yard fence. With almost human like actions, he wandered to the left for a few steps, then turned and walked a few steps in the other direction--just like a lost child. I could almost read his mind-- "where is my mother?" He stomped his foot a few times like deer do when seeing something they don't understand, and he kept looking toward the east pasture where we feed the deer herd every afternoon. I too, was searching for another deer to come to his side. Nothing!

I watched him slowly curl up in the dead grass --a lesson I'm sure he had learned from his mama. He was positioned so he had a good view of the feeding area. Being a patient and trusting little fellow, he seemed to know if he waited in the safety of the grass long enough, help would come. I continued to check on him every time I passed the window (I passed the window a lot!) He was so camouflaged in the brown grass that I often lost him. If I scanned the area long enough, I would see a little ear twitch and, I would be comforted to see him still and waiting. He wasn't sleeping, but watching, trusting, hoping.

Finally, I couldn't wait for regular feeding time. I fired up Jack's four-wheeler--the sound the deer recognize as "feeding time", and drove to the feeding area to put out some corn. It didn't take long. I saw the little fellow standing, within a few yards of the four-wheeler, watching me from the edge of the trees. As I left, he was already out and nibbling the scattered corn. My question now was--where were the others?

The herd finally came, a few at a time from every direction. We think there was something, probably dogs, that scattered the herd that day. I watched as the "littlest deer" blended into the herd. I could never tell if his mother was one of the group. However, I was relieved to see him the next afternoon come up the hill, on time, with the rest of his "family". I will continue to keep an eye out for our "littlest deer". And, I believe Someone else is doing the same.